Friday, April 15, 2016

Hop aboard our Guamforgettable and Guamazing Journey...

Prelude: Check out this cool video at the Slingshot in Tamuning Guam... which I never tried for I was too much of a coward while my son dauntlessly hopped on and tried it... so much for being a good and protective mother...
For a change, I now take breather from writing about my endless event host gigs which I am always thankful and excited about. Let me write about my recent journey to unforgettable Guam. I have so many un-posted hosting adventures (one was a wild kick-off summer party with Cosmopolitan magazine at the Palace Pool Club and an even wilder male bidding charity event led by Love Yourself AIDS awareness foundation) but let's save those for another post soon as I find the time. Let me walk back to my mesmerising trip to Guam USA! Check out my smug little stowaway who managed to join my trip after praying, crying and demanding that he comes along five hours before my flight...
Funny though as everyone at work and my family knew that it was a soul searching and writing sojourn; just myself to pray and write, and keep writing during the Holy Week, especially as Saint Pedro Calungsod, in whose honor the Chapel I serve for was named after, died in Tamuning Guam and that's what I had wanted to connect to deeply. I was supposed to go alone but my mom insisted that my brother joins since we knew nobody here, unlike in LA where we have a ton of friends. So here I was with my brother and my son's leg - we decided to rent a car from the hotel, and it gave us mobility and freedom to explore any time that we wanted. I would suggest those visiting Guam do the same too, and book via their hotels to avail a big discount. Philippine driver's license accepted! I am sporting my Chamorro sun-kissed look, and my brother-slash-driver, his typical sunburnt look... 
So as my story goes, it was supposedly just my brother and me, but then my cheeky little boy did not allow me to go if he wasn't going to go, and being the putty in his hands, I booked him a ticket last minute and by God's grace, only paid about two thousand pesos higher than the tickets I purchased for my brother and I. And the rest of the trip was all about him! Here we were at Two Lovers Point...
This was his moving-up gift and pre-birthday gift too, and I don't regret bringing him along last minute (even with my friends chiding me how I can never say No to him). Whenever I look about last month's trip, my heart brims with joy as even if what i intended to spend the week writing, relaxing and praying, I still got to do so, but only in different circumstances (I took a different form of prayer - bonding with my delighted son, teaching him about God's endless glory, in this new beautiful place, and I did get to write, on the airplane and when we are not at Chuck E. Cheese's). But yes, we were always at Chuck E. Cheese's! 
And you guessed it... the next day we were back again at good ole Chuck E's! But the food was really good; I'd have to agree with my son who said that theirs was the best pizza we've ever tasted!  
Plus, we had to visit Underwaterworld in Tamuning Guam, too. All my aquarium photos were terrible (It was just sad how I couldn't take a decent photo of the humongous sea turtle, the stingrays, the sharks and all the strange fish due to bad lighting), so this one would have to do... can you say Shark-tastic?!? 
We also had a date with his most favorite character of all time.. Darth Vader! I don't know if I ought to be scared or if I should be fine with his fascination with the dark side... no matter how many times I convince him that he's a Jedi knight padawan... he corrects me and says that he's a Sith! I guess that's how it is when you are Sith years old (6 y/o)!
And of course, before we returned our rented vehicle, we needed to gas up! Everything was a fun learning experience for my boy...
Hope you liked the few tips and highlights of our incredible, incredible time in Guam, which I will forever be thankful for. Can't wait to fly out again, to take a well-deserved vacation somewhere new and nice, but for now, I am simply thankful for the chance to work and excel within my various passions, with enough blessings to keep my contented, but with God's promises clearer than ever, to keep me in hopeful and faithful yearning. I thus close with these beautiful words from St. Augustine, and may my friends and family who ask why I never stop working understand... that I take so much pride and derive so much joy in all of my activities, as I try to get things right with Christ. Certainly dwelling on my past mistakes; can't wait for the fruits of the Spirit to manifest in my life. Focused on my own journey more than ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment